Lately, I have been trying to incorporate coconut oil and coconut flour into my baking. It is a healthy alternative to regular flour and tastes and smells really good. I seriously could sniff a jar of coconut oil for hours; well maybe not hours, but it’s pretty amazing. While this recipe does have regular flour as well, I substituted half of the amount with coconut flour. So what is the secret you ask? Well, this recipe is also dairy-free. This is a first for me, I must admit. Normally, I go all out when I bake. If I am going to have dessert, it will be the most decadent version of the dessert I can make; real butter, real sugar, full fat cream cheese etc….none of this half-the-calories nonsense. ;) Anyway, a friend of mine recently found out she needed to go dairy-free, so I decided to try out a new chocolate chip cookie recipe concoction. The verdict: pretty darn good! Oh, and did I mention that they are soft cookies! My fave!
1/2 cup coconut oil (not melted) – I used Trader Joe’s Organic Virgin Coconut Oil
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
3/4 cup all-purpose flour or whole wheat flour
3/4 cup coconut flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
pinch of salt
1 cup chocolate chips (semi-sweet)
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet (I used coconut oil) or line with parchment paper
- Mix the coconut oil and both sugars in a large mixing bowl or stand mixer until fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla until mixed in completely.
- In a small bowl, mix the flours, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture and mix lightly.
- Stir in the chocolate chips
- Scoop spoonfuls of dough and roll into a ball and place onto the cookie sheet and then press down lightly to flatten a bit.
- Space them about 2 inches apart on your cookie sheet. Bake for about 10-12 minutes depending on your oven, or until the tops/edges turn a light golden brown.
- Transfer cookies to a cookie rack and let cool for for several minutes